[Council] historical JEPs

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Jul 16 11:28:47 CDT 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 05:36:54PM -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> FYI, as promised I've changed a number of JEPs to Historical:
>
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jeplist.php?type=Historical
>
> I still feel that some of these could well be upgraded to Standards
> Track. My first candidate is JEP-0093: Roster Item Exchange. Simple, to
> the point, gets the job done, no controversy.

In the latest version of JEP-0001, I defined a process for upgrading a
JEP from Historical to Standards Track. The relevant paragraph is as
follows (last paragraph of Section 8.2):

   The Jabber Council may, at its discretion, decide to convert an
   Historical JEP into a Standards Track JEP if the protocol defined in
   the JEP has been in long use, is deemed stable and uncontroversial,
   and is unlikely to be superseded by a different protocol. The
   Historical JEP shall be treated in the same way as a Standards Track
   JEP that has a status of Experimental, beginning with the Proposal
   Process. If after the Last Call and voting by the Jabber Council the
   JEP is approved for advancement on the standards track, its type
   shall be changed to Standards Track and its status shall be changed
   to Draft.

This seems like a reasonable approach to me. Any thoughts from the
Council? At this point we may not do any of these "upgrades" until the
next Council is seated in about a month, but feedback from the current
Council would be appreciated.

/psa