[Council] VOTE: JEP-0077 (In-Band Registration)

Thomas Muldowney temas at box5.net
Tue Jul 20 13:11:20 CDT 2004

On Jul 14, 2004, at 11:07 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> JEP-0077 (In-Band Registration) has been updated to incorporate all
> feedback received during the Call for Experience. Therefore it seems
> appropriate for the Jabber Council to vote on whether to advance this
> Standards Track JEP from Draft to Final.
>
> Abstract: This JEP defines a protocol for in-band registration with
> Jabber servers and services using the 'jabber:iq:register' namespace.

> Please vote +1, 0, or -1 (with requested changes).
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Saint-Andre
> Jabber Software Foundation

Few comments before I feel comfortable voting.

Section 4.1 is not clear about the connection state.  In some cases
this will happen before authentication, in that case you can not use
<registered/> or <remove/>, I think that needs to be more explicit.

Section 5 - I was wondering if we should have some wording about not
mixing x:data with the predefined fields.  I think this would lead to
horrid ambiguity and too many OPTIONAL pieces in one area.  Which do
you fill out?

Section 6 - If my thoughts to Section 5 are agreeable then Section 6
would probably need to be more tied to Section 5, the original idea
with x:data was that you would have the in-band info, and then a
website to go to if that was unusable.

--temas