[Council] standards-track vs. informational

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Mar 3 17:57:00 CST 2004

Not sure we ever reached consensus on standards-track vs. informational
JEPs last fall:

http://www.jabber.org/pipermail/council/2003-October/001101.html

The way I see it now:

1. A Standards Track JEP defines a protocol to be used in the Jabber
   community.

2. An Informational JEP defines best practices (e.g., the proto-JEP
   on disco extensions), JSF procedures (e.g., JEP-0001), or a usage
   profile for an existing protocol (e.g., JEP-0126).

3. A Historical JEP documents a protocol developed before the JEP
   process was instituted but still in use by the Jabber community;
   the JEP may or may not be obsoleted by a different Standards Track
   JEP, or itself converted to Standards Track.

If we accept this categorization scheme, then we would probably want to
divide the existing Informational protocol JEPs into Historical JEPs and
Standards Track JEPs (with the latter requiring the JEP to pass over
some hurdles yet to be defined).

Thoughts?

Sorry for the flood of emails, I'm finally catching up on things after
the IETF madness...