[Council] JEP acceptance process

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Mar 11 17:52:58 CST 2004

The process used by the Jabber Council to accept JEPs for publication is
not clearly defined. The current best practices seem to be as follows:

1. Author submits document to the JEP Editor

2. JEP Editor posts the document online for review by the Council,
   currently at <http://www.jabber.org/~stpeter/editor/>

3. If there are no objections from Council members within ~7 days, the
   JEP Editor assigns a number to the document, publishes it as a JEP,
   announces it on the Standards-JIG mailing list, etc.

Some formalization would probably be good so that we can define this
process in JEP-0001. In particular:

- the process for communicating with the author is undefined, as is the
  process for making modifications (revise and resubmit seems good,
  within reason regarding number of iterations and timeouts)

- the Council review period is undefined (currently I am assuming that
  one week is sufficient, but this has not been codified)

- it would probably be better to place these documents in a more formal
  location, rather than a personal directory of the current JEP Editor
  (something like <http://www.jabber.org/jeps/inbox/> seems good)

Further thoughts?