[Council] JEP-0001 update etc.

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Mar 17 22:08:55 CST 2004

I have a provisional update to JEP-0001 ready for review by the Jabber
Council. This revision specifies the JEP acceptance policy as recently
discussed, and incorporates my understanding of our conclusions from
last fall regarding the meaning of the various JEP types (standards
track, informational, historical, etc.). The sections of greatest
interest are therefore:

http://www.jabber.org/~stpeter/editor/0001.html#publication
http://www.jabber.org/~stpeter/editor/0001.html#types

If the JEP types text is acceptable, I propose that we change the type
of several JEPs...

Change from Standards Track to Informational (since these define best
practices rather than protocols):

JEP-0068: Field Standardization for Data Forms
JEP-0082: Jabber Date and Time Profiles

Change from Informational to Historical:

JEP-0011: Jabber Browsing
*JEP-0012: Last Activity
JEP-0022: Message Events
JEP-0023: Message Expiration
JEP-0025: Jabber HTTP Polling
JEP-0027: Current Jabber OpenPGP Usage
JEP-0048: Bookmark Storage
*JEP-0049: Private XML Storage
JEP-0054: vcard-temp
JEP-0055: Jabber Search
*JEP-0066: Out of Band Data
*JEP-0090: Entity Time
*JEP-0091: Delayed Delivery
*JEP-0092: Software Version
*JEP-0093: Roster Item Exchange
*JEP-0114: Jabber Component Protocol

* I think it would be good to consider changing these to Standards Track
  (with appropriate review, naturally) rather than Historical, since
  they seem acceptable, are in wide use, and have not been obsoleted by
  more recent protocols (or won't be by protocols under consideration).

Thoughts?