[Council] VOTE: JEP-0073 (Basic IM Protocol Suite)

Thomas Muldowney temas at box5.net
Sun Nov 28 20:03:45 CST 2004

The Introduction history lesson almost made me miss the final bit about
what the JEP really does.  While this could be nice for people that
don't know the order of events, people that read this JEP might already
know all of that and end up skipping the crucial bits.

Before I can vote I also need clarification on this sentence in Section
2:

(note that this entire JEP applies to software implementations, not
necessarily to particular deployments thereof)

I understand the intent, but in practice it seems to horribly break
things.  It means I'm using a stamped basic level client to try and
connect to a stamped basic server, but then bam, things aren't working.
  What happens when a deployment doesn't have disco, or I'm expecting
in-band registration to exist?  It just seems like this could
potentially damage a user experience, and create headaches for
developers that are trying to work with this JEP which ties all the
other techs into one heading.  Is it too idealistic to state that
claiming Basic IM Suite means you actually provide it all?

--temas