[Council] JEP 141 (Data Forms Layout) Review

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 3 11:55:35 CDT 2005

Is there a potential ambiguity or source of confusion here, since
<desc/> in JEP-0141 is unlike <desc/> in JEP-0004?

In JEP-0004, the following is true of <desc/>:

1. It may occur only once within a <field/>
2. It should not include newlines
3. Layout is the responsibility of the user agent
4. It provides a "tool tip" or other descriptive text
5. It applies at the level of the field

In JEP-0141, the following seems to be true of <desc/>:

1. It may occur an unbounded number of times
2. It should not include newlines (?)
3. Presumably, each <desc/> should be presented on a separate line
4. It provides a textual description (or perhaps instructions?)
5. It applies at the level of the page or section

Perhaps it would make sense to use a different element name in JEP-0141
for what is currently <desc/>?

Also, I think some examples would help to illustrate the usage. I'll try
to add some provisionally and discuss them with lw.

/psa