[Council] VOTE: JEP-0138 (Stream Compression)

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Mon May 16 10:57:41 CDT 2005

First, I like the simplicity of this JEP. It looks straightforward to
negotiate the use ZLIB-based stream compression, and therefore should be
fairly easy to implement.

However, my vote is -1, for the following reasons:

1) There is no discussion on setup of compression options/details, as
had been discussed on standards-jig. Even if there are no meaningful
options to ZLIB, where and how should such things be negotfor other
compression methods? There needs to be at least some guidance on that
subject in this JEP.

2) There are no "Mandatory to Implement" requirements, and I think this
is bad (but I could be convinced otherwise). It would be in everyone's
interest to set a baseline, such as ZLIB. Note that I'm not saying
"mandatory to deploy", just "mandatory to implement".

--
-  LW

GOT JABBER™? <http://www.jabber.org/>