[Council] Advancing more XEPs to Final

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 13:02:17 CST 2006

Chris Mullins wrote:

> I was looking at the (very short) list of standards-track XEPS that
> are in final status, and thought it’s time to perhaps advance a few more.

IMHO that depends on what Final means. Putting to one side for a moment
what it means within the XSF today, I'd like Final to mean "no backwards
incompatible changes will be introduced" (and perhaps even that "the
schema MAY be extended"). Not final in the sense that there would be
absolutely no material changes (only clarifications).

If Final means the later, then I'd like us to introduce a new category
between Draft and Final with the meaning of the former ("no backwards
incompatible changes will be introduced"). IMHO it seems like a very big
jump from Draft (which allows backwards incompatible changes) to Final
(assuming it allows no changes at all).

The name of this category should sound relatively final (for sales and
marketing purposes). e.g. "Complete" or "Finished"

- Ian