[Council] meeting agenda, 2006-03-23

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Mar 22 11:58:01 CST 2006

Here is a proposed agenda for tomorrow's meeting:

http://www.jabber.org/council/meetings/agendas/2006-03-23.html

The agenda is long. In the interests of a short meeting, here are my
thoughts on the items:

1. JEP-0145: Annotations. A few developers said they are or will be
using this. IMHO it can be modified if/when PEP storage is ready to go
(same as for all the other formats we stick into private data storage
today). Therefore I'd vote +1.

2. JEP-0146: Remote Controlling Clients. There is at least one
implementation, with perhaps more on the way. Seems potentially helpful,
a nice use of ad-hoc commands, I'm +1.

3. JEP-0147: XMPP URI Scheme Query Components. +1 here. :-) Let's create
the registry so the IESG can move forward.

4. JEP-0130: Waiting Lists. Another minor modification agreed upon among
the implementors. In fact it's a deletion, the remote-server-not-found
error was never used AFAIK, people just returned item-not-found instead.
So +1 here.

5. JEP-0124: HTTP Binding. Ian, do you think this is ready to go? It
seems that we still need to add the text about certificate consistency.
IMHO it might be better to finish the discussion on the Standards-JIG
list (or off-list) before approving the next version. So I'd say let's
punt on this for now, clean it up, then approve 1.5 so that I can seek
an expert security review at that time (once we've cleaned up everything
we can see).

6-9. These all relate to forwarding. I've modified forwarding-delivery
so that the from address is the forwarding address, not the forwarding
server, not sure if that meets Ralph's objections. But I'm +1 on getting
these out there.

10. JEP-0078: Non-SASL Authentication. Oops, this expired again back in
October. I'm +1 on extending its lease on life for another 6 months but
I think the time is coming when this can be changed to Deprecated (maybe
in 6 or 12 months, e.g. when we are close to publishing rfc3920bis). For
the logic behind expiration dates, see
<http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0001.html#expiration>.

11. Proto-JEP: Server-Side Message Archiving. I'm +1 obviously.

12. Proto-JEP: Jingle Video Media Description Format. +1.

13. Proto-JEP: Jingle DTMF. +1.

14. Proto-JEP: Application-Specific Error Conditions. +1

15. Proto-JEP: Zoep. I may recuse myself from this discussion. But in
general I am always +1 on publishing JEPs, let them sink or swim on
their own merits.

HTH,

Peter

- --