[Council] meeting agenda, 2006-03-23

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Thu Mar 23 07:41:01 CST 2006

For some reason, I thought our meeting this week was to be tomorrow, and
not today (-:

I have a previous engagement, and can't make today's meeting, so here's
my thoughts:

1)  JEP-0145 (Annotations):  +1
2)  JEP-0146 (Remote Controlling Clients): +1
3)  JEP-0147 (XMPP URI Scheme Query Components):  +1
4)  JEP-0130 (Waiting Lists):  +1
5)  JEP-0124 (HTTP Binding):  I'm -1 until I can fully digest (more
comments below)
6,7) Proto-JEPs on Forwarding:  +1
8)  JEP-0033 (Extended Stanza Addressing):  +1, and about time (-:
9)  JEP-0133 (Service Administration):  Need to read through it again
before I weigh in
10)  JEP-0078 (Non-SASL Authentication):  +1
11)  Proto-JEP (Server-Side Message Archiving):  +1
12-14) Proto-JEPs on Jingle:  +1
15)  Proto-JEP (Zoep): -0  (We've tried the "SIP in XMPP" approach
before, and it didn't work.  But I'm not stopping this one yet)

Now back to JEP-0124:
I'm generally opposed to such large changes to Draft JEPs (which this
appears to me to be the case), unless the changes fix deficienies (e.g.
JEP-0045 and JEP-0060).  The biggest reason is that it makes it hard for
multiple implementors to properly interoperate, because they need to
somehow determine what version of a JEP the other parties have
implemented (unless the changes can be 100% ignored).

I'm wondering if the multi-stream stuff could not have been done as an
add-on (and therefore a different JEP), but I'll read through it and
weigh in later.

--
-  LW

"Got JABBER(R)?" <http://www.jabber.org/>