[Council] meeting agenda, 2006-09-13

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Sep 12 15:08:09 CDT 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>> http://www.jabber.org/council/meetings/agendas/2006-09-13.html

In the interest of expediting tomorrow's meeting (the agenda is long),
I'm posting some comments here:

1. JEP-0060: Publish-Subscribe

Publish version 1.9?

I've just made a few more small corrections, I'm +1 now.

2. JEP-0163: Personal Eventing via Pubsub

Votes needed from all Council members.

I'm not sure what to do about the payload type vs. namespace issue:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2006-September/012318.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2006-September/012360.html

I suppose it would be fairly straightforward to establish a registry for
PEP nodenames, but it seems to me that a payload type is in fact defined
by a schema, which is tied to the namespace. So it's not really an issue
of payload type vs. namespace (the two seem equivalent to me), but an
issue of payload+namespace uniqueness within a PEP user's virtual pubsub
service. Plus I don't particularly want to hold up JEP-0163 any further.

3. JEP-0059: Result Set Management

Votes needed from all Council members.

Things I'd like to see:

- more consistent terminology (result set vs. page)

- I think "limiting the size of a result set" (section 2.1) is just a
special case of paging (in fact, you're not limiting the size of the
result set, since the result set could still be huge -- you're limiting
the size of what the responding entity returns to you, which is a page)

- I think the index value in "requesting a page by index" should be some
large number rather than 10

- I'm not in love with <max>0</max> as a way to get the count, but as
pgm used to say "it's not a fill for me to die on"

Given the fairly significant changes to this JEP recently, I think I'd
prefer to let it sit for a few more weeks and then advance it to Draft
during the next Council session. But I could be talked out of that.

4. JEP-0175: Best Practices for Use of SASL ANONYMOUS

Jack needs to vote, I'm including it here only for consistent numerical
order. :-)

5. JEP-0045: Multi-User Chat

Publish version 1.21?

This looks like a fairly large changelog, but most of the modificiations
are small and were discussed many months ago. So I think this is mostly
a housekeeping release. Anyway, I'm +1 on this. And I still think it
would be good to move this to Final in 2006 or early 2007.

6. JEP-0147: XMPP URI Scheme Query Components

Publish version 1.2?

Removed the probe action, which IMHO was just wrong in the first place.
+1 here.

7. JEP-0130: Waiting Lists

Publish version 1.3?

This is more documentation cleanup to match how things work in the
existing implementations. +1 here.

8. JEP-0078: Non-SASL Authentication

Due to expire on 2006-09-23. Deprecate now or extend expiration date for
another 6 months?

+1 to Deprecate.

9. proto-JEP: Shared XML Document Editing

Accept version 0.0.1 as a JEP?

I think this document could use some cleanup and re-organization, but I
have no objections to publishing it as a JEP in order to further the
discussion.

10. proto-JEP: Whiteboarding

Accept version 0.0.1 as a JEP?

Also needs some cleanup, but no objections to publishing.

11. proto-JEP: File Transfer Preview

Accept version 0.0.2 as a JEP?

The feature discovery text mitigates some of the concerns about stanza
size, but needs to specify that the sender MUST NOT include the preview
unless it knows that the recipient supports previews.

12. proto-JEP: Chess Game Protocol

Accept version 0.0.1 as a JEP?

IMHO some things need to be fixed - e.g., the <time-10-minutes/> element
(!), the limit of only one <rule-set/> in acceptance, the non-extensible
nature of the negotiation (maybe use JEP-0020?). Also I'd like to see
lots of examples (e.g., a sample game). But other than that it seems
unobjectionable. I'd be curious to see what other people think,
especially people who perhaps have experience with developing and
deploying XMPP-based chess systems. ;-)

13. proto-JEP: Game Sessions

Accept version 0.0.1 as a JEP?

It seems a bit early for us to define a generalized framework for gaming
and I'd like to see some real-life examples (e.g., how does this relate
to the same author's chess game protocol?), but maybe I'm being too
conservative.

/psa