[Council] meeting minutes, 2007-02-14

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Thu Feb 15 18:23:56 CST 2007

Chris, what say you? The XMPP Extensions Editor would like to update the

published specs on the website if they are acceptable. :-)

> 1. XEP-0185: Dialback Key Generation and Validation
>
> All Council members are now +1, but is version 0.4 acceptable?
(Earlier
> votes were on version 0.3.)
>
> Council discussed security considerations. Agreement to advance 0.4 to

> Active and call out the recommended algorithm for IETF review of
> rfc3920bis.

+1

> 2. XEP-0178: Best Practices for Use of SASL EXTERNAL
>
> Advance version 0.7 to Active?
>
> All Council members in attendance voted +1. Chris to vote on the list.

+1

> 3. XEP-0073: Basic IM Protocol Suite
>
> Approve version 1.1?
>
> Discussed implications for compliance testing and certification.
> Consensus to discuss that topic further at upcoming FOSDEM / devcon
> meeting in Brussels. Peter noted that the protocol suites are merely
> guidelines for developers to set priorities on their projects, not
> formal compliance specifications. Ian raised the question of updating
> XEP-0077 (In-Band Registration) before proceeding with updates to
> XEP-0073, but consensus that any changes to XEP-0077 are separate from

> consideration of XEP-0073. All Council members in attendance voted +1
on
> XEP-0073 version 1.1. Chris to vote on the list. Council will hold
> discussion in Brussels to address broader topic of certification.

+1, would like to see the In-Band discussions though.

> 4. XEP-0030: Service Discovery
>
> Approve version 2.3?
>
> All Council members in attendance voted +1. Chris to vote on the list.

+1 on this. We do need to have a discussion regarding Time-to-live for
these as well - this goes well beyond the entity caps discussion.

> 5. XEP-0092: Software Version
>
> Approve version 1.1 as Standards Track + Draft?
>
> Discussed use of iq:version in cases where entity capabilities does
not
> provide the desired information. Real-time wordsmithing resulted in
> addition of the following sentence: "The jabber:iq:version protocol
MAY
> also be used to determine information available only via
> jabber:iq:version (e.g., operating system information) for contacts
from
> which a user receives presence, but only if the user specifically
> requests such information for a particular contact." All Council
members
> in attendance voted +1 with the wording change. Chris to vote on the
list.

+1 on the wording change, and +1 to draft.

Before this gets any further though the process, it needs to have a
Disco feature added to it. This will allow it to be part of entity caps.
I don't like blindly sending "IQ:Version" and getting back, "IQ:HUH?".

> 6. XEP-0115: Entity Capabilities
>
> Approve version 1.2?
>
> All Council members in attendance voted +1. Chris to vote on the list.

+1

> 7. XEP-0012: Last Activity
>
> Approve version 1.2?
>
> All Council members in attendance voted +1. Chris to vote on the list.

+1 on moving to draft status. This XEP also needs a disco feature so
that it can work with caps.

> 8. XEP-0016: Privacy Lists
>
> Approve version 1.6?
>
> All Council members in attendance voted +1. Chris to vote on the list.

+1

> 9. XEP-0191: Simple Communication Blocking
>
> Approve version 1.1?
>
> All Council members in attendance voted +1. Chris to vote on the list.

> Council to further discuss privacy lists / block lists in Brussels.

+1

--
Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Entperise, Microsoft C# MVP
Coversant Chief Software Architect / XMPP Council Member