[Council] meeting minutes, 2007-06-13

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jun 21 13:58:09 CDT 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Ralph Meijer wrote:
>> My comments, based on the logs.
>>
>> On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 11:51 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>> [..]
>>>
>>> 2. XEP-0080: User Geolocation
>>>
>>> Approve version 1.4pre2?
>>>
>>> Discussed Ralph's point that the location format could be used with
>>> different transports. Consensus that pubsub (via PEP) should be the
>>> recommended transport for location information about human users but
>>> that this recommendation does not forbid other uses. Peter to write
>>> proposed text to capture this consensus, after which the Council
>>> shall decide to approve version 1.4pre3 of XEP-0080.
>>
>> Most of these extended presence specs were created with that use case in
>> mind. I raised the format point because of the removal of the mention of
>> other transport possibilities. I agree that as far as declaring support
>> for any of these specs, we expect the use of these formats over the
>> preferred channel PEP and nothing else. If we need to define other uses
>> of any of these formats and have those announced via disco, we can
>> invent new '#something' suffixes to the namespaces.
>>
>> Furthermore I think there maybe should be one spec that describes how to
>> publish information like extended presence (location, mood, activity,
>> etc) for an entity that can be represented by multiple resources at the
>> same time (like persons with a user account).

Version 1.4pre3 has the following text:

******

Location information about human users SHOULD be communicated and
transported by means of Publish-Subscribe [5] or the subset thereof
specified in Personal Eventing via Pubsub [6] (the examples below assume
that the user's XMPP server supports PEP, thus the publish request lacks
a 'to' address and the notification message has a 'from' address of the
user's bare JID).

Although the XMPP publish-subscribe extension is the preferred means for
transporting location information about human users, applications that
do not involve human users (e.g., device tracking) MAY use other
transport methods; however, because location information is not pure
presence information and can change independently of network
availability, it SHOULD NOT be provided as an extension to <presence/>.

******

XMPP Standards Foundation