[Council] incenting e2e development

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Mar 7 15:29:15 CST 2007

[Sent to board and council, cross-posting rights should be in order]

While on a plane to Florida for VoiceCon, I've been reading cached web
pages and mailing list posts about ways to fund FOSS development.

There seems to be consensus that code bounties are not the best approach
because it is difficult to properly scope them, developers who don't
receive bounties may be demotivated, etc.

Project leaders on the foundations list and elsewhere feel that "payment
in kind" schemes are more successful than bounties. This might include
things like equipment, but for our purposes a better example would be
payment to attend a conference. So we might incent developers to work on
end-to-end encryption by holding a special devcon. Unlike our talk-heavy
"XMPP Summit", an e2e devcon would focus on coding sprints and interop
testing. Projects would need to get to a certain point of viability in
their e2e code before being invited to the devcon (this could even be
based on self-reports, given the high level of trust in our community).
One approach would be to hold two such events, or to hold an online
sprint (e.g., in April or May) followed by an in-person devcon for those
who complete the sprint.

Thoughts?

XMPP Standards Foundation