[Council] incenting e2e development

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 11:47:19 CDT 2007

On 12 Mar 2007, at 16:29, Ian Paterson wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Project leaders on the foundations list and elsewhere feel that
>> "payment in kind" schemes are more successful than bounties. This
>> might include things like equipment, but for our purposes a better
>> example would be payment to attend a conference. So we might
>> incent developers to work on end-to-end encryption by holding a
>> special devcon. Unlike our talk-heavy "XMPP Summit", an e2e devcon
>> would focus on coding sprints and interop testing. Projects would
>> need to get to a certain point of viability in their e2e code
>> before being invited to the devcon (this could even be based on
>> self-reports, given the high level of trust in our community). One
>> approach would be to hold two such events, or to hold an online
>> sprint (e.g., in April or May) followed by an in-person devcon for
>> those who complete the sprint.
>
> This seems like a good approach.
>
> I'm not sure how well the Summer of Code model works. Although
> different people are often motivated in very different ways. So
> perhaps we should be prepared to be flexible too?

I think it varies dramatically with the people involved - I certainly
was motivated by SoC. I'd also be motivated by anything which could
tangibly help Psi. I'd find it difficult to get time off work to
attend such a devcon, so the potential reward there's quite limited
(of course, as I think Remko's the person most likely to implement
e2e, he may be a different story). I'm not typical either maybe.
Perhaps the way forward would be to ask some of the high-profile
projects what would be an incentive for them?

/K

--
Kevin Smith
Psi XMPP Client Project Leader (http://psi-im.org)