[Council] XEP-0078 expiration

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 17:25:30 CDT 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> XEP-0078 (Non-SASL Authentication) was set to expire on 2007-03-13. We
> need to discuss that at the next meeting (or on the list here).

I vote we change the type to Informational, and the status to Active,
and add in big bold letters something like:

"Application developers MAY use this protocol as a short-cut during
early development. It SHOULD NOT be enabled for production clients or
servers."

Chris, at the FOSDEM summit we discussed the fact that one of the
reasons we've got so many XMPP developers is because it is so easy to
get started. Since SASL represents such an intimidating hurdle for
someone who only wants to get "hello world" working. We thought it might
be a good idea to keep non-SASL alive only for developers.

I think Peter also wants to be able to continue telneting into servers ;-)

> It might be easier to keep track of expiration dates it they were
> regularized to June 30 and December 31....

+1

- Ian