[Council] XEP-0078 expiration

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Mar 28 21:07:16 CDT 2007

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> XEP-0078 (Non-SASL Authentication) was set to expire on 2007-03-13. We
>> need to discuss that at the next meeting (or on the list here).
>
> I vote we change the type to Informational, and the status to Active,
> and add in big bold letters something like:

What's wrong with Historical + Deprecated?

> "Application developers MAY use this protocol as a short-cut during
> early development. It SHOULD NOT be enabled for production clients or
> servers."

Agreed on the note.

> Chris, at the FOSDEM summit we discussed the fact that one of the
> reasons we've got so many XMPP developers is because it is so easy to
> get started. Since SASL represents such an intimidating hurdle for
> someone who only wants to get "hello world" working. We thought it might
> be a good idea to keep non-SASL alive only for developers.
>
> I think Peter also wants to be able to continue telneting into servers ;-)

Oh yes that is handy. But I do that only from the same machine where the
jabber.org server runs. :)

>> It might be easier to keep track of expiration dates it they were
>> regularized to June 30 and December 31....
>
> +1

FYI, I made XEP-0090 expire on 2007-12-31. Then it will be on the
six-month renewal cycle. We'll do the same with XEP-0091 once Ralph
votes +1 on XEP-0203.

XMPP Standards Foundation