[Council] XEP-0012

Jack Moffitt jack at chesspark.com
Wed Nov 19 14:06:28 CST 2008

> As promised, I've completed an editorial review of XEP-0012, resulting
> in some smallish text changes. Perhaps we can vote on advancing this to
> Final now (naturally, reviews by other Council members would be good).

There are some minor issues and one major issue from my review of this XEP.

Major issue:

Section 4 (Online User Query) states that the server should return a
forbidden error if 1) the IQ-get is sent to the full JID and 2) the
requester  does not have a presence subscription.  Since when does a
server have such a responsibility?  In fact this conflicts with RFC
3921 section 11.1 which states that a server MUST deliver a stanza
sent to a resource that is connected.

So this needs to be changed to put this responsibility on the client,
but of course I don't see how that is going to work, since getting an
error response from the client is just as good for determining
presence.  I'm curious how this presence leak can be worked around, or
if this is a case where using hard to guess resources is the only
path.

Minor issues:

Everywhere JID forms are mentioned they use slightly different syntax.
 Some are <host> and some are <domain.tld>.  What are these angle
brackets for?  Generally such a thing shows a variable substitution,
so I would suggest we make all these uniform like so:  1) use <host>

In the last paragraph of section 2 (second sentence I believe), there
are a bunch of missing closing parenthesis.  Taking into account the
above, here's my suggestion for a change:

"Specifically, the information means something different depending on
whether the responding entity is an account registered on an XMPP
server (with a JID of the form <user>@<host>), a connected or
available resource associated with such an account
(<host>)."

In the first sentence of section 4, the words "full JID" appear in
quotes.  This is the only place such a term appears in quotes.  Let's
lose the quotes.

Otherwise looks good.

jack.