[Council] Message Mine-ing

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Nov 21 11:13:53 CST 2008

On Fri Nov 21 15:43:10 2008, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> The 300th time I had to explain to a customer how wrong they were
> for
> wanting what Mine-ing provides, I snapped, and wrote a XEP.
>
> Comes a point where if users ask for something continuously, it
> doesn't
> matter how right we are.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but I think we risk landing
ourselves in a situation where we're going to work on a XEP which
cannot pass criterion (1) for Draft - "fill known gaps".

I agree there are problems in this general area which need solutions,
but I'm neither convinced that the problem you appear to be solving
is the right one to be solving, nor that the problems your customers
are experiencing are correctly solved by protocol additions.

As such, I'll formally object to this at least until we've got some
idea of the problem we're trying to solve, and the general approach
we want to take.

Would you like to kick off the discussion on the standards list?

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/