[Council] meeting minutes, 2008-10-15

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Oct 24 19:04:51 CDT 2008

On Thu Oct 23 17:00:43 2008, Kevin Smith wrote:
> > 11. Proto-XEP: PubSub Chaining
> > 12. Proto-XEP: PubSub Queueing
>
> I'd like to hold off until Dave's comments have come through, but
> not
> inherently against them going to experimental.

Well, here's my "thing". I've not got back to the authors, I'm afraid
- whenever I've had the time I've not seen them online, and I've code
freezes and other nightmares.

On PubSub chaining, I think it's okay, although I suspect unsuitable
for real repeaters - I think this model is right for aggregation, but
not terribly interesting for the simple case. I've another design for
shadowing entire services, both MUC and PubSub, that I really need
the time to finish off.

On PubSub queueing, I'm concerned that this is entirely the wrong
model. In particular, I'm wondering what happens when a naïve pubsub
client (or a repeater, like above) subscribed with the default
options, expecting one behaviour and discovering another entirely. I
suspect - but I'm really not sure - that it might need to be an
entirely distinct interface.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/