[Council] meeting minutes, 2008-10-15

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Oct 27 16:13:36 CDT 2008

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Dave Cridland wrote:
>
>> On PubSub queueing, I'm concerned that this is entirely the wrong model.
>> In particular, I'm wondering what happens when a na�ve pubsub client (or
>> a repeater, like above) subscribed with the default options, expecting
>> one behaviour and discovering another entirely. I suspect - but I'm
>> really not sure - that it might need to be an entirely distinct interface.
>
> I've forwarded your comments on to Joe and perhaps we can have a
> discussion about this on the pubsub@ list.

Joe and I discussed it offlist. We think that if the naive subscriber
doesn't include subscription options, the queueing node needs to return
a <not-acceptable/> error with a pubsub-specific condition of
<configuration-required/>. In fact this is already specified:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/pubsub-queueing.html#example-1

So a naive client will never get subscribed to a queueing node in the
first place.