[Council] final voting reminder!

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Oct 28 03:19:02 CDT 2008

On Mon Oct 27 22:24:49 2008, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> So at the end of all this, I see the following:
>
> XEP-0053
>
> *I think* Dave is +1 now (please correct me if I'm wrong), but he's
> not
> sure if the other Council members find the modification acceptable,
> therefore I take it that he would suggest this topic go on the
> agenda
> for the next meeting. Correct?

Other, lighter weight, options also acceptable to me:

1) Council members state on list that their votes still stand with
the modifications.
2) We assume that, after a week, their votes stand. (ie, you include
this in your 24-hour warning below).

I think (2) probably works simplest for our purposes, and we should
probably get around to casting that in stone, along with the ability
for the XEP Editor for force a complete restart at their discretion.

> XEP-0206
>
> Dave -1 pending discussion of the following paragraph:
>
> ***
>
> Upon receiving the <success/> element, the client MUST then ask the
> connection manager to restart the stream. It does this by setting to
> "true" the 'xmpp:restart' attribute (qualified by the
> 'urn:xmpp:xbosh'
> namespace) of the BOSH <body/> element. When sending the restart
> request, the client SHOULD also include the 'to' and 'xml:lang'
> attributes. In addition the <body/> MUST be empty (if the client
> includes an XML stanza in the body, the connection manager SHOULD
> ignore
> it but MAY send that stanza when the stream is restarted; however
> there
> is no guarantee that a connection manager will send the stanza so a
> client cannot rely on this behavior).

Specifically, the last parenthetical phrase.

I'd suggest replacing it with:

. If the client includes an XML stanza in the body, the connection
manager SHOULD ignore it. It is known that some implementations send
such a stanza when the stream is restarted; however there is no
guarantee that a connection manager will send the stanza so a client
cannot rely on this behaviour.

(That's removing it from the parenthesis, and rephrasing the MAY to
avoid the normative language).

> If that accounting is correct, I will go ahead and publish the
> revised
> versions of XEPs 124, 80, 107, and 108.
>
> But before doing so I will wait 24 hours to see if there are any
> objections.

All looks right to me.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net