[Council] final voting reminder!

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Oct 28 10:52:41 CDT 2008

Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Mon Oct 27 22:24:49 2008, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> <snip/>
>>
>> So at the end of all this, I see the following:
>>
>> XEP-0053
>>
>> *I think* Dave is +1 now (please correct me if I'm wrong), but he's not
>> sure if the other Council members find the modification acceptable,
>> therefore I take it that he would suggest this topic go on the agenda
>> for the next meeting. Correct?
>>

> Other, lighter weight, options also acceptable to me:
>
> 1) Council members state on list that their votes still stand with the
> modifications.
> 2) We assume that, after a week, their votes stand. (ie, you include
> this in your 24-hour warning below).
>
> I think (2) probably works simplest for our purposes, and we should
> probably get around to casting that in stone, along with the ability for
> the XEP Editor for force a complete restart at their discretion.

Something like (2) works for me. In fact, I'll test it out right now...

>> XEP-0206
>>
>> Dave -1 pending discussion of the following paragraph:
>>
>> ***
>>
>> Upon receiving the <success/> element, the client MUST then ask the
>> connection manager to restart the stream. It does this by setting to
>> "true" the 'xmpp:restart' attribute (qualified by the 'urn:xmpp:xbosh'
>> namespace) of the BOSH <body/> element. When sending the restart
>> request, the client SHOULD also include the 'to' and 'xml:lang'
>> attributes. In addition the <body/> MUST be empty (if the client
>> includes an XML stanza in the body, the connection manager SHOULD ignore
>> it but MAY send that stanza when the stream is restarted; however there
>> is no guarantee that a connection manager will send the stanza so a
>> client cannot rely on this behavior).
>
> Specifically, the last parenthetical phrase.
>
> I'd suggest replacing it with:
>
> . If the client includes an XML stanza in the body, the connection
> manager SHOULD ignore it. It is known that some implementations send
> such a stanza when the stream is restarted; however there is no
> guarantee that a connection manager will send the stanza so a client
> cannot rely on this behaviour.
>
> (That's removing it from the parenthesis, and rephrasing the MAY to
> avoid the normative language).

Right. That works for me, and is more in line with that long thread on
ietf at ietf.org about such topics, which I blogged about here (and perhaps
promptly forgot?):

https://stpeter.im/?p=2225

I have adjusted the text to incorporate Dave's concern, with language
close to what he has proposed. In addition, I have cleaned up the
paragraph about restart requests a bit to more clearly explain exactly
what a restart request is. I think the text is now more readable.

The rendered document is here:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0206-1.2.html

See especially the text following Example 9:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0206-1.2.html#example-9

The SVN diff from version 1.2rc2 is here:

http://svn.xmpp.org:18080/browse/XMPP/trunk/extensions/xep-0206.xml?%40diffMode=u&%40diffWrap=s&r1=2415&r2=2453&u=3&ignore=&k=

(Or http://is.gd/513x if you prefer short URLs.)

If you have objections to the text as it now stands or if it will change
your previous vote on version 1.2rc2 of XEP-0206, please voice those
objections on this list or in the next Council meeting. (I am of the
opinion that this change is small enough that you should not need 7 days
to review it, but we can discuss appropriate time periods for such
review in the next meeting.)