[Council] agenda items

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue May 19 12:04:18 CDT 2009

On Mon May 18 19:50:38 2009, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> It seems that we have a Council meeting schedule for May 20. Here
> are
> some possible agenda items, feel free to add your own. :)

I am highly unlikely to make this one, I'm afraid.

> 1. Jingle
>
> Vote on advancing XEP-0166, XEP-0167, XEP-0176, XEP-0177 to Draft.
> We
> might still have some remaining issues to discuss on the jingle@
> list.
> It never ends...

Sounds like you're voting against. I need to catch up on this one
before I can take a view.

> 2. Roster Versioning
>
> Vote on advancing XEP-0237 to Draft.

I'm satisfied this can be advanced to Draft, you may consider this a
vote in advance.

> 3. Shared BOSH
>
> Accept http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/shared-bosh.html as a XEP?

I'm a bit confused as to why you'd not want to just use two distinct
connections, and send stanzas between them as required. This method
means that you're doubling the bandwidth consumption at minimum,
which seems like the least optimal solution.

> 4. SIFT
>
> Accept http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/sift.html as a XEP?

What's concerning me here is that there's yet another proposal for
something to do invisibility and privacy lists. None of these have
seen much traction in the community, yet we seem to produce a lot of
them.

Before we go through with this proposal, I'd like to see someone
clearly write down some requirements, and get general agreement on
those first.

> 5. Entity Time
>
> XEP-0090 is set to expire on 2009-06-30. The Council needs to decide
> whether to maintain this specification in the Deprecated state or
> change
> its status to Obsolete.
>
> 6. Delayed Delivery
>
> XEP-0091 is set to expire on 2009-06-30. The Council needs to decide
> whether to maintain this specification in the Deprecated state or
> change
> its status to Obsolete.
>
> 7. Message Events
>
> XEP-0022 is currently Deprecated but does not have an expiration
> date.
> The Council might want to assign an expiration date or change its
> status
> to Obsolete.

I think all of these might be considered for a "Last Call" to
obsolete at this point. (I know we don't have to do a Last Call, but
I think it'd be useful to forewarn the community and see if anyone
screams.)

> 8. Direct MUC Invitations
>
> Issue a Last Call in preparation for advancing XEP-0249 to Draft.
>
> 9. Stream Management
>
> Issue a Last Call in preparation for advancing XEP-0199 to Draft.

Last-Call-tastic from here.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/