[Council] Welcome new council.

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Oct 6 16:33:27 CDT 2009

On 10/6/09 2:29 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>   So, we have a new council, with new people (welcome!), so I guess
> it's helpful to send a quick welcome message.

Indeed, welcome! The future of XMPP is in your capable hands. ;-)

>   This is a brain dump, take it as you will, I suspect it'll form the
> rough agenda for the first meeting, give or take.
>
> * We need to decide on a time to meet. I'd propose we pick the usual
> council time, a week Wednesday (14th October) at 7UTC (8 British
> Summer Time) and we can work out from there whether we can all make
> it. Usually council in the first meeting decides a stable time/day for
> its meetings, so that's for the first agenda.

Please don't meet at 08:00 over in Europe, because your Executive
Director / XEP Editor would like to attend.

> * At the end of last council, Peter kindly agreed to set up
> http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Radar so that the new council (and
> particularly the chair) would be able to keep tabs on what's happening
> in the XEP world.

That page is editable, so Council members are welcome to modify it.

> This is likely to be the main place for our TODOs
> for the next year

I think it also makes sense for the Council to take over maintainership
of http://xmpp.org/xsf/roadmap.shtml (perhaps moving it to wiki.xmpp.org
so that it can be edited by the complete Council).

I see the Radar page as short-term (items for consideration in the next
1-3 Council meetings) and the Roadmap page as long-term, but the Council
can of course determine its own work processes.

> * We need to vote in a chair for the year.

It shan't be me.

> * We need to decide how often to meet (last year had weekly meetings,
> which worked very well for that council).

I think the Council has done weekly or fortnightly meetings, with a few
longer breaks around the winter holidays and early summer.

> * We need to decide how formal we want the agendas. Last year started
> with them stored in SVN etc., and by the end of the year we were
> sending out mails to the council list.

The Council could simply use the Radar and Roadmap pages as input to an
agenda that is established at the beginning of the meeting, without
setting a formal agenda in advance. But I leave that up to the Council.

> That's all for now. As outgoing chair I'm happy to sort out our first
> agenda (I suggest we have an admin meeting first without spec votes,
> we'll have enough to talk about), but if anyone else wants to do it
> I'm entirely open to the idea!

Admin meeting first is a good plan.

> If you've forgotten what happened at the start of the mail - the only
> important thing at the moment is for you to reply about the first
> meeting date and to get that arranged when we can all make it.

I'm flexible.

Peter

- --