[Council] Welcome new council.

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Oct 7 10:25:24 CDT 2009

On 10/7/09 8:12 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Wed Oct  7 14:55:20 2009, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> My concern is that the mail to the standards@ list will have a subject
>> line of "LAST CALL: XEP-0373", leading the Council to lose control over
>> the issuance of Last Calls. And the action of mailing the Council is not
>>  straightforward at present because the council@ list is moderated (but
>> if the Council chair or Council members would like to take over list
>> administrative duties and regularly monitor the inbound messages that
>> are held for moderator approval, so be it -- I happen to think we all
>> have better things to do with our time than remove spam from the holds
>> list, which is why currently mail is discarded rather than held).
>>
>> All in all I think it's simpler for the XEP author to bring the matter
>> up during a Council meeting.
>
> I'm beginning to think you've thought about this way more than I have. :-)
>
> What about:
>
> 1) Author requests the Chair to add the Last Call discussion to the
> Agenda. This may be done at a meeting, or simply by asking the Chair
> directly, via XMPP or email. (One assumes the Author can find the Chair,
> of course).

One assumes. :)

I don't particularly care how the XEP author convinces the Chair to add
the proposed Last Call to the agenda. Show up at a meeting, send email
to the chair, ping the chair via IM, smoke signals, etc.

> 2) Council discuss Last Call, and Author SHOULD show up to that meeting.

Aside from the fact that RFC2119 conformance terms do not apply to human
behavior (would that they did!), yes.

> 3) After the Last Call is over, a futher meeting will occur to discuss
> advancement. At this point, Author MUST show up.

Sure.

I don't want to add too much process here, I just want to remove myself
from the loop in case I get hit by a bus.

Peter

- --