[Council] meeting minutes, 2009-09-09

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Sep 9 15:40:12 CDT 2009

Results of the XMPP Council meeting held 2009-09-09...

Agenda:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/council/2009-September/002608.html

Log:

http://logs.jabber.org/council@conference.jabber.org/2009-09-09.html

Scribe: Peter Saint-Andre

0. Roll call

Present: Dave Cridland (late but voted on most items), Peter
Saint-Andre, and Kevin Smith.

Absent: Jack Moffit (with regrets) and Ralph Meijer.

Quorum achieved, if barely.

1. XEP-0202 (Entity Time)

Dave voted +1.

Vote needed from JACK. He shall be counted as "Did Not Vote" if we do
not hear from him by the close of business this Friday.

2. XEP-0203 (Delayed Delivery)

Peter proposed text for the security considerations:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2009-September/022588.html

Dave, Peter, and Kev +1 on this change, as well as pointers from XEPs 45
and 160. Changes checked into SVN:

http://svn.xmpp.org:18080/changelog/XMPP/?cs=3400

http://svn.xmpp.org:18080/changelog/XMPP/?cs=3399

It was unclear from the Council discussion whether the change to
XEP-0203 would be included in the 2.0 (Final) version of the spec or
whether the Council would prefer to publish version 1.1 first.

RALPH and JACK shall post to the council@ list if they object, and still
need to vote.

3. XEP-0227 (Portable Import/Export Format for XMPP-IM Servers)

The spec author does not have time to update it anytime soon. The
Council shall seek out additional co-authors via a post to the
standards@ list.

4. XEP-0175: Best Practices for Use of SASL ANONYMOUS

JACK to provide feedback on the standards@ list.

PETER to further tweak the spec to reflect recent list discussion.

5. Internationalization clarifications in XEPs 55 and 77

Dave, Peter, and Kev +1 on modifying these in place.

RALPH and JACK shall post to the council@ list if they object.

6. SIFT <http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/sift.html>

Dave a reluctant +1 to publishing -- he is concerned about having yet
another way to do invisibility and is not convinced that we need to
obsolete negative presence priorities. Peter went off on a thoroughly
unjustified rant about the delay in publishing SIFT as a XEP, then
recanted. Consensus that the Editor shall publish this for continued
discussion on the standards@ list.

7. Muji <http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/muji.html>

Kev now +1 to publishing. No feedback received from JACK. The Editor
shall publish it unless we hear from Jack to the contrary by the close
of business this Friday.

8. Design Considerations for Digital Signatures in XMPP
<http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/dsig-design.html>

Peter and Kev have reviewed it and are +1 on publishing. Dave said in
the previous meeting that he was +1 as well. No feedback yet received
from RALPH or JACK. The Editor shall publish it unless we hear from
Ralph and Jack to the contrary by the close of business this Friday.

9. XEP-0244 (IO Data)

Peter has reviewed it along with the list discussion, and agrees with
some of the concerns voiced by Waqas Hussein about moving the text on
asynchronous ad-hoc commands out of XEP-0244 (probably XEP-0050). This
discussion shall continue on the standards@ list.

10. XEP-0270 (XMPP Compliance Suites 2010)

No discussion. To be discussed in the next meeting.

11. XEP-0256 (Last Activity in Presence)

Kev +1 on the proposed changes. To be discussed further in the next
meeting to gain feedback from Dave, Jack, and Ralph.

12. XEP-0136 (Message Archiving)

No discussion. To be discussed in the next meeting.

13. XEP-0080 (User Location)

Dave, Peter, and Kev +1. Votes needed from RALPH and JACK.

14. XEP-0085: Chat State Notifications

No discussion. To be discussed in the next meeting.

15. Other Business

None.

16. Next Meeting

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 @ 19:00 UTC.