[Council] No Meeting 20100104

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Jan 4 23:31:07 CST 2010

On 1/4/10 5:13 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:

> Also... I see spam being an issue, but you mentioned reputation in
> your blog post, so I guess that's on the cards as well. I predict
> distributed spam control is going to be a big topic soon, identica are
> also now having problems with spam. It's only a matter of time before
> harvesters start harvesting JIDs, OMB subscription URLs, etc. Unlike
> SMTP and OMB though, XMPP managed (just about) to solve the
> distributed identity issue, which makes it marginally easier for us.

Agreed. As you know from studying the spam phenomenon on the email
network, there is no one solution. I think that reputation systems might
help (given that DNSBLs have helped on the email network) and I have a
spec half-written on the topic. We need incident reporting (XEP-0268).
We need better user interfaces to the privacy list protocol (XEP-0016)
or perhaps we need simple communications blocking (XEP-0191). We might
want to revisit spam-fighting defaults for privacy lists (XEP-0159). I
recommend a visit to http://wiki.asrg.sp.am/wiki/Main_Page for more ideas...