[Council] consistency of review periods

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Mar 5 21:18:53 CST 2010

The review periods that we define in XEP-0001 and the Council policies
and procedures are inconsistent.

http://xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0001-1.20.html says:

"If no member of the XMPP Council objects to publication of the proposal
within fourteen (14) days or at the next meeting of the Council, the
XMPP Extensions Editor shall accept it as a XEP."

"The Last Call shall expire not less than 10 days after the date of issue."

"the Call for Experience shall expire not less than 14 days after the
date of issue"

http://xmpp.org/council/policies.shtml says:

"Unless noted otherwise by the XMPP Extensions Editor when announcing a
Council vote, the voting period shall be ten (10) days."

I think it would be easier if we make all of these periods 14 days
(unless otherwise stated by the Editor). And we probably also need the
Editor to be more explicit about start times for Council votes -- I
think currently we assume that voting starts at the meeting during which
an item is introduced, but it would be good to be clear about that.