[Council] process clarification (was: Re: Minutes 20110713)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Jul 13 17:02:55 UTC 2011

On 7/13/11 10:33 AM, Kevin Smith wrote:

> 2) http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/compliance2012.html
> Accept as XEP?
>
> No objections from those present, Nathan has a fortnight to object.
>
> 3) http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/commenting.html
> Accept as XEP?
>
> No objections from those present, Nathan has a fortnight to object.
>
> 4) Issue last call on XEP-0296?
>
> Agreement to do so.

After the meeting today, Kev and I had a discussion about Council
policies and procedures:

http://xmpp.org:5290/muc_log/muc.xmpp.org/council/110713/#15:25:15

My feeling is that the Council could take action on acceptance of XEPs
and issuance of Last Calls by a simple majority of +1 and no -1 votes,
*without* the need to wait two weeks for absent Council members to
possibly object on the list. My primary rationale is that Council
members could always vote -1 on any advancement decisions resulting from
acceptance of a XEP or issuance of a Last Call. My secondary rationale
is that waiting two weeks just to get a XEP in the system or to issue a
Last Call makes our processes seem slower than they need to be.

However, if we're going to take this approach then we need to have a
cut-off date for requesting these actions (as Kev noted, we don't want
to put something in the inbox 5 minutes before a meeting and then accept
it for publication).