[Council] process clarification (was: Re: Minutes 20110713)

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Wed Jul 13 17:16:12 UTC 2011

On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:02 , Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> On 7/13/11 10:33 AM, Kevin Smith wrote:
>
>> 2) http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/compliance2012.html
>> Accept as XEP?
>>
>> No objections from those present, Nathan has a fortnight to object.
>>
>> 3) http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/commenting.html
>> Accept as XEP?
>>
>> No objections from those present, Nathan has a fortnight to object.
>>
>> 4) Issue last call on XEP-0296?
>>
>> Agreement to do so.
>
> After the meeting today, Kev and I had a discussion about Council
> policies and procedures:
>
> http://xmpp.org:5290/muc_log/muc.xmpp.org/council/110713/#15:25:15
>
> My feeling is that the Council could take action on acceptance of XEPs
> and issuance of Last Calls by a simple majority of +1 and no -1 votes,
> *without* the need to wait two weeks for absent Council members to
> possibly object on the list. My primary rationale is that Council
> members could always vote -1 on any advancement decisions resulting from
> acceptance of a XEP or issuance of a Last Call. My secondary rationale
> is that waiting two weeks just to get a XEP in the system or to issue a
> Last Call makes our processes seem slower than they need to be.
>
> However, if we're going to take this approach then we need to have a
> cut-off date for requesting these actions (as Kev noted, we don't want
> to put something in the inbox 5 minutes before a meeting and then accept
> it for publication).
>
> Peter

This makes a sense to me.

However, does "simple majority" mean "simple majority of council members present at the quorum-achived meeting" or "simple majority of all council members"?  It would move faster if we go with the former, but could mean an overall minority approval still keeps things moving.  I don't really see a problem with that (-:

As for the time limit, I think a 24 hour cutoff (before next meeting) seems reasonable, although we could probably live with 12 hours.

- m&m