[Council] process clarification (was: Re: Minutes 20110713)

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 17:36:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> On 7/13/11 10:33 AM, Kevin Smith wrote:
>
>> 2) http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/compliance2012.html
>> Accept as XEP?
>>
>> No objections from those present, Nathan has a fortnight to object.
>>
>> 3) http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/commenting.html
>> Accept as XEP?
>>
>> No objections from those present, Nathan has a fortnight to object.
>>
>> 4) Issue last call on XEP-0296?
>>
>> Agreement to do so.
>
> After the meeting today, Kev and I had a discussion about Council
> policies and procedures:
>
> http://xmpp.org:5290/muc_log/muc.xmpp.org/council/110713/#15:25:15
>
> My feeling is that the Council could take action on acceptance of XEPs
> and issuance of Last Calls by a simple majority of +1 and no -1 votes,
> *without* the need to wait two weeks for absent Council members to
> possibly object on the list. My primary rationale is that Council
> members could always vote -1 on any advancement decisions resulting from
> acceptance of a XEP or issuance of a Last Call. My secondary rationale
> is that waiting two weeks just to get a XEP in the system or to issue a
> Last Call makes our processes seem slower than they need to be.
>
> However, if we're going to take this approach then we need to have a
> cut-off date for requesting these actions (as Kev noted, we don't want
> to put something in the inbox 5 minutes before a meeting and then accept
> it for publication).

This seems a sensible streamlining to me, given that the default
action for accepting a XEP or issuing a Last Call should be
affirmative. So it's announced in advanced, Council have the
opportunity to oppose it up to and including the meeting, after which
if there's no objections (or a majority don't object, with no
objections, I think they're roughly equivalent given that a majority
is required for quorum and the two states are object and don't object)
the action passes.

I think this would be inappropriate for advancements, but seems
sensible for acceptance and Last Call.

/K