[Council] XEP-198 1.2 proxy vote

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Mar 2 10:56:04 CST 2011

On 3/2/11 9:45 AM, Nathan Fritz wrote:
> In section 5 "In addition, this allows entities to establish
> definitively which stanzas require resending and which do not,
> eliminating replay issues." seems to be a bit over-promising. It will,
> in fact, not prevent all replay depending on the frequency of the ack.
> I suppose it is up for interpretation.
>
> Regardless, I believe that to be a very minor nitpick that does not
> affect the spec itself.

I'm copying Dave Cridland, from whose patch that text emerged.

In the Council chatroom after the meeting just now, I proposed the
following text:

   In addition, this enables entities to establish which stanzas
   might need to be resent, thus reducing the likelihood that an
   entity will send duplicate stanzas.

I tend to agree with Nathan that "eliminate" is a bit strong here. I'd
rather underpromise and overdeliver than overpromise and underdeliver.