[Council] Minutes 2011-04-27

Ralph Meijer jabberfoundation at ralphm.ik.nu
Tue May 10 12:13:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 12:18 +0100, Kevin Smith wrote:
> 1) Roll call
> Matt, Matt, Nathan and Kev present, Ralph absent.
>
> 2) Agenda bashing
> None
>
> 3) Vote on advancing XEP-0261 (Jingle In-Band Bytestreams Transport)
> Agreement to extend the Last Call and for Peter to chase for discussion.

+1

> 4) Update XEP-0178 (Best Practices for Use of SASL EXTERNAL with
> Certificates) with the interim version 1.1rc5
>
> Everyone to vote onlist  by 11th May (a fortnight).

+1

> 5) Publish http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/sensors.html as a XEP?
>
> Nathan -1, will post to the standards list with justification, others
> present not blocking.

Not blocking, as I'm ok with documenting new payload formats. I'm not
sure if this spec represents something generic enough to be be
standardized with the XSF. As for the protocol itself, there are some
odd things in there. The way 'units' are represented seems inflexible
and non-extensible, for example.

> 6) Publish http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/coin.html as a XEP?
>
> No-one present blocking, Ralph to have opportunity to block on-list by 11th May.

Not blocking.

> 7) Publish http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/json.html as a XEP?
>
> Matt, Matt, Kev blocking, Nathan not. Matt Miller to post justifications onlist.

-1. I don't this is a very good idea. All the advantages of having a
different serialization format disappear as soon as you need to
interpret the contents. I think there are decent libraries to do most of
the heavy lifting required for the regular XML serialization. If there
are counter arguments to that, these should at least be part of the
rational in the first section of the specification.

--
ralphm