[Council] message forwarding

Matthew Wild matthew at prosody.im
Fri Jun 8 02:46:45 UTC 2012

On 7 June 2012 23:43, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> XEP-0297 is "Proposed". I don't recall its status. Did the Council vote
> on it?

Hmm, interesting. In my mind it was done and published, but I checked
the council minutes, and apparently that's not the case.

The last call included feedback from Kim Alvefur recommending text in
the XEP concerning re-use in other protocols:

  - http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2011-November/025388.html
  - http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2011-December/025554.html
  - http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2012-January/025595.html

Apparently updating the XEP was an action item for me that I dropped,
sorry about that.

The current status is that Carbons has the <forwarded/> element a
sibling of its own elements (e.g.
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0280.html#example-14 ), and MAM does
too: http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0313.html#sect-id126689 (URL
anchor fixed in my working copy!).

Kev's message above (third mailing list link) proposes that the
<forwarded/> element should be a *child* of the using protocols
instead. I think I'm inclined to agree here, so barring any objections
I'll update the XEP accordingly, and we'll need to update both MAM and
Carbons to reflect the change.

Regards,
Matthew