[Council] Fwd: forking Jingle

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Apr 30 15:47:04 UTC 2014

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: forking Jingle
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 09:40:51 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
To: [Ivan Mosquera]

Hola Ivan! (I can't find an email address for Pedro.)

Saúl Corretge recently tweeted the Tuenti blog post about forking
Jingle, and I'd like to provide a few comments.

Although I understand the frustration of a non-SDP syntax in the Jingle
specifications, I think it would have been more productive to engage
with the XMPP community on solutions than to fork it on your own. The
Jabber/XMPP community has been around since 1999, it's friendly, and
it's full of developers who would be happy to discuss these issues.

Also, it is very uncool for Tuenti to create namespaces in the urn:xmpp
tree. The whole idea of URN namespaces is that they are managed in an
intelligent way, with the result that creating namespaces is a
controlled process (see RFC 3406). The urn:xmpp tree is managed by the
XMPP Standards Foundation, in accordance with RFC 4854. Please change
your Jingle fork namespaces to use http://tuenti.com/* or at least
something other than urn:xmpp:*.

Thanks!

Peter

(Executive Director, XMPP Standards Foundation)