[Council] Council Meeting 2016-02-03

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Wed Feb 3 16:31:09 UTC 2016

# 2016-02-03 Council Meeting

Logs: http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2016-02-03/#16:00:08

## Roll call

- Lance
- Tobias
- Dave
- psa
- MattJ

## Add stamping requirements to Security Considerations

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2016-January/030866.html

Context:
    New XEPs that require that messages be "stamped" with a tag (eg. stanza-id,
    delay, etc.) need security considerations to prevent spoofing and conflicts.
    Servers should strip out any such stamps that claim to be from that server.

- Dave notes that this is missing a concrete proposal and may not be a solvable
  problem.
- Kev notes that he suggested that council should be careful to check security
  considerations when reviewing XEPs.
- PSA: "We could even write an equivalent of RFC 3552 for XMPP"
- Kev notes that DPI was mentioned as a solution at the summit, but he doesn't
  like it.
- MattJ and Dave note that signing fixes the problem.

## Pubsub Account Management: Accept as Experimental

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2016-January/030867.html

- psa +1
- Dave +1
- Tobias +1 (but notes that there needs to be fewer ???'s)
- Lance +1
- MattJ +1 (but notes that he's hesitant)

## Date of next

sbtsbc

## AOB

Editors note: I entered another meeting around this time and probably didn't
record things that should have been recorded. Please read the chat logs for
context around AOB.

- URI's — should these be an XEP/registrar thing or an RFC thing?
  - Everyone agrees that an XEP is the place to start

EOM