[Council] Council Meeting 2016-09-21
sam at samwhited.com
Wed Sep 21 15:55:28 UTC 2016
# 2016-09-21 Council Meeting
## Roll call
- Lance (chairing)
- Dave Cridland
- Lance notes that Peter will be absent
## Date of next
2016-09-28 15:15:00 UTC
### OMEMO Axolotl / Olm
- Dave Cridland wonders if we can unblock OMEMO which has remained a proto-XEP
due to a dependency on a proprietary protocol by switching from Axolotl to
Olm. Tobias, Lance, and MattJ agree.
- SamWhited wonders if Olm has an audit like OMEMO and TextSecure and what the
license of the Olm spec is (known implementation is Apache).
- Dave Cridland (concerned about Axolotl): "he concerns with Axolotl are that
there is no spec, and the sole implementation is GPL, and the copyright
owner seems litiginous about perceived reverse engineering."
- SamWhited (concerned about Olm): "I'm nervous that I don't see a license and
that changes were made that have not been audited (nor have any of the
implementations to my knowledge).
- Dave Cridland to contact Matrix and ask about how the spec is licensed.
### Message Archiving / MAM
- SamWhited thinks Message Archiving should be deprecated since no ones using it
and it's confusing having it in draft and MAM experimental.
- MattJ and Dave Cridland note that people are still using Message Archiving, or
need features that were deliberately left out of MAM
- SamWhited thinks that deprecating it won't stop them from continuing to use it
if they really need it, but just means that the XSF recommends MAM for new
- MattJ says he needs to submit a new MAM revision that uses stanza-id, etc.
that he is this close: |<-->|
- Lance says if we're that close we can do the draft feedback for MAM first and
then consider deprecating 136.
- SamWhited and MattJ agree.
More information about the Council