[Council] XMPP Council Meeting 20170111

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jan 11 16:43:47 UTC 2017

http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2017-01-11/

1) Roll Call - http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2017-01-11/#16:01:03

All present.

[[ Dave forgot to do the joke about saying "Bacon please!". ]]

2) Minute Taker - http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2017-01-11/#16:03:03

Dave offered, and Tobias foolishly agreed.

[[ Really it amazes me that in a community this size, with so many
people applying and reapplying for XSF membership every year, we
cannot find a minute taker at all this year.

If you're reading these minutes, then whether or not you're an XSF
member, we'd really appreciate if you offered to take the minutes.
Give it a whirl for a meeting, and see if you enjoy it. ]]

3) Move XEP-0153 Obsolete in favour of XEP-0084 -
http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2017-01-11/#16:03:56

Dave asked what our precise meaning of Obsolete was in these
circumstances. The agreement was that it did simply mean the XEP-0001
definition - that the Council would be recommending no further
implementation or deployment.

Tobias noted we should explain how XEP-0084 operates with anonymous
MUCs, Emmanuel Gil noted that it doesn't work in a number of
circumstances including anonymous MUCs, contacts not in the roster,
and so on.

Sam noted that there is a recurring theme within the community of
rejecting any replacement because it does not 100% match the
capabilities of the first; Dave noted that in this case there were
common use-cases which were missing.

Kim noted from the floor that technically speaking, without the
special handling MUCs give XEP-0054 requests, XEP-0153 avatars also do
not work in MUCs.

[[ The discussion was relatively heated, I have attempted to capture
the majority of points, but I am of course utterly biased. I recommend
that interested readers review the chatroom logs, and, furthermore,
volunteer to take minutes! ]]

The vote was postponed until next week.

4) XEP-0300 fixing - http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2017-01-11/#16:23:45

See https://github.com/xsf/xeps/issues/349

General agreement that a namespace bump with mandatory base64 encoding
is the solution here. Tobias to raise this on the list.

5) Date of Next - http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2017-01-11/#16:26:12

Same time next week.

6) AOB - http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2017-01-11/#16:29:31

None raised.