[Council] [editor] Retracting XEPs 323, 324, 325 & 326

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Wed Jun 14 17:11:04 UTC 2017

Hi Peter,

Sorry for not responding earlier on this message that found its way to
Board a little while ago.

Of course any author has the possibility to retract an Experimental XEP,
per XEP-0001, as you mentioned. However, by submitting a XEP to our
standards process, the work is covered by the XSF IPR Policy [1], that
states specifically:

---
3.1 Ownership

By submitting an XMPP Extension for consideration by the XSF, the author
of the Extension shall assign any ownership rights or other Claims
asserted over the Extension to the XSF. This does not apply to Claims
regarding any Implementations or Deployments of the Extension, but
rather to the Extension itself as represented in a protocol or data
format. Any documentation of the Extension (in the form of a XEP
specification) shall be copyrighted by the XSF. Once an author assigns
ownership to the XSF, the XSF shall in turn make the Extension available
to all entities so that they may create, use, sell, distribute, or
dispose of Implementations or Deployments of XMPP and all XMPP
Extensions in perpetuity and without payment or hindrance.
---

As such, the Board's position is that you cannot reassign any rights and
claims you've already assigned to the XSF. Of course, the legal notices
that explain how specifications (XEPs) can be used, just like for anyone
else.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

[1] <https://xmpp.org/about/xsf/ipr-policy.html>

Kind regards,

Ralph Meijer
Chair of the Board of Directors