[Council] IEEE WG and the IoT SIG

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 22 14:53:53 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 7:35 PM, Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:

> Some of you may know that Arc recently met with someone from the IEEE
> IoT working group (or whatever the IEEE calls their version of SIGs).
> They're using XMPP for all of their work, but have no members in the
> XSF. Arc has convinced some of them to apply for membership, but it
> was also suggested that the council might want to work with the IoT
> SIG to come up with a strategy for what to do with the existing XEPs
> (update, replace, etc.) and to make sure we have council
> representation on the SIG.
>
> Since there weren't many people in the council meeting today, I said
> I'd send out an email and we can discuss it here. If anyone would like
> to volunteer to the the liaison to the SIG, please do so. If anyone
> has other opinions, please discuss. Let's try to have a plan for what
> the council's roll in all this is (if anything) by next week.

Sorry for the late reply. Somehow only got around replying to it now.

This sounds all sensible. I'll contact our XMPP IoT SIG and propose we
setup a meeting where interested council members can join in and discuss
our IoT strategy, especially considering the IEEE IoT group, together with
our XMPP IoT SIG.

Ideally the meeting will result in:
- having a person interested acting as liaison between the XMPP IoT SIG and
the IEEE IoT group
- that person being fully supported by the XMPP Council
- coming up with a strategy for what to do with our current IoT XEPs ( i
remember a rough discussion about that at the recent Brussels meeting)

@Rikard: Would you mind setting up a XMPP IoT SIG meeting, where the
Council could join in and we can discuss this issue?

Cheers,
Tobi