[Council] [Standards] XMPP Council Minutes for 2017-01-10

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed Jan 24 11:41:14 UTC 2018

On 24 Jan 2018, at 08:54, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:

>> * Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> [2018-01-10 18:30]:
>>> 4) ProtoXEP: PEP Avatar to vCard conversion.
>>
>> +1. I like the general idea and I'm pretty sure the security issue I
>> outlined on standards@ can be sorted out.
>>
>>> 6) ProtoXEP: TOTP 2FA
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I'm not quite sure how the interop between the TOTP Device and the XMPP
>> client will be performed in practice (client displays QR code to
>> camera-equipped Device / shares URI with local TOTP app?), and the
>> explanation in §4 suddenly
>>
>> Furthermore, there are some places in the XEP with less-than-formal
>> wording. If those are meant to stay, I recommend promoting this XEP to
>> type "Humorous".
>
> I’m inclined to -1 based on the language. Our main job as council when
> accepting proto XEP is to check if the format is correct. (Usually we
> take this even further and check if a XEP can be implemented or other
> more or less arbitrary criteria). In this particular case however I'm
> not really sure if this counts as 'correct format’.

I think it’s mostly Editors’ job to check the formatting, FWIW (which is done automatically by Travis, I believe).

Assuming you’re referring to the tone, I’m not sure rejecting a protoXEP because it’s vaguely humorous in its first iteration is something we need to feel inclined to do, if it doesn’t hurt our usual criteria.

/K