[Council] Item for the Agenda: XEP-0384

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Dec 30 17:42:22 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I'd like to add a motion to the agenda for Rejecting XEP-0384:

a) It hasn't been worked on for over 18 months, and therefore should be
Deferred anyway.

b) It is still impossible to implement given the specification, since it
doesn't reference the actual Signal Protocol required to implement.

This is not a suggestion that nobody should be allowed to have an XMPP
client which includes support for Signal, but it is not the XSF's place to
support closed standards. We have consistently rejected attempts to push
through XEPs which do not meet this criteria - most recently, XEP-0365 was
originally rejected on this basis (NATO fixed this for us by publishing
STANAG 5066).

Previously, RTMP was rejected because RTMP was a proprietary Adobe protocol.

There is no reference to an open standard here for XEP-0384, and discussion
on the list informs me that XEP-0384 implicitly depends on one
implementation (under a GPLv3 license).

Originally, Council rejected it on this exact basis, and there was an
agreement to fix this which appears to have been forgotten.

In any case, we have a XEP which does not conform to our own previous
criteria for defining what an open standard is for our purposes, so
therefore we should scrap it.

Dave.