[IOT] Comments on discovery paragraph 5.1

Cramer, E.R. (Eelco) Eelco.Cramer at tno.nl
Wed Apr 1 11:52:35 UTC 2015

Hi,

Paragraph 5.1 of XEP-0347 says it is only needed to ‘become friends’ with the Thing registry if the registry isn’t a server component.
> 5.1 JID vs Component Thing Registries <>
> A client must treat the connection between a Thing Registry differently if it is hosted as a client, having a JID, or if it is hosted as a Jabber Server Component. If it is hosted as a server component, there's no need for the thing to become friends with the Thing Registry. Messages and requests can be made directly to the server component without having to add it to the roster or request presence subscriptions. If the Thing Registry is hosted as a client, having a JID (@ in the address), the Thing Registry must be added to the roster of the client before the client can communicate with the Thing Registry.

However, for the registry to determine if a Thing is online or offline (to check if it is able to notifiy it about claimed, disowned and removed states) the Thing registry needs a presence subscription with the Thing. This does not mean that the Thing also has a presence subscription on the registry but there must be some kind of ‘friendship’ relation between the 2. So the text above is ambiguous in my opinion.

Also paragraph “3.6 Registering a Thing” states that a Thing must find and befriend a registry before the Thing can register itself with the registry.

Should paragraph 5.1 be updated or removed?

Thanks,
Eelco