[IOT] XMPP IoT SIG - Call for Participation

Peter Waher peterwaher at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 17 16:35:33 UTC 2016

Thank you Davide for a very interesting description of how XMPP solves many of the issues related to Industry 4.0.

One reflection on what you wrote regarding thresholds and alarms:

> Thresholds can be set to rise alarms in case some parameters exceed
the optimal values.

This use case is managed in a general way by the proposed XEP IoT Events that I submitted some time ago, but that the council wanted to change to use data forms instead of the more XEP-0323-like approach that it uses today. My personal conviction is that such an approach is highly counter productive and difficult to implement/validate and would effectively kill the XEP, which is why I did not pursue the subject. But if interest exists, it might be a good idea to brush off this proposal again, and re-address the issues in a pragmatic manner.

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/iot-events.html

Best regards,