[jadmin] voip between jaber clients.

David Banes dbanes at cleartext.com
Tue Apr 28 18:22:01 CDT 2009

On 29/04/2009, at 12:52 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> On 4/28/09 6:21 AM, Sachin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Tried different things but could not come to what I need. What I am
>> looking for is a jabber server which can also take VOIP where two
>> jabber users with jabber client  can talk using voip. I tried
>> openfire + libjingle but again its not between jaber client ->
>> jabberserver <- jabber cleint.
>>
>> Can anybody guide me on this. I have private ip and want that all
>> users logged in here can have a secure voip and chat. Can jabber or
>> openfire do this.
>
> Jingle doesn't involve the server -- it is a client-to-client
> technology.

Which is one reason I don't think we'll see mass adoption in
enterprises, it's much harder to control and audit the conversations
when they go p2p (ignoring outbound via a proxy that is) .

Clients we have interested in VoIP are mandating a client-server-
client architecture, even if that's less than ideal from a technology
perspective.

I can see us using Jingle over XMPP with clients that talk back to a
central server for auditing purposes.

David.

David Banes
Director & CEO, Cleartext
Director & Secretary, Internet Industry Association
Director & Chairman, XMPP Standards Foundation
email: dbanes at cleartext.com
xmpp: dbanes at cleartext.com
Tel: +61 2 8001 2600

- Cleartext is Carbon Minimised -