[JDEV] installing the jabber server libs under sparc-solaris-5.7
peter at mezzo.net
Mon Apr 24 20:49:01 CDT 2000
i encountered the following problems while installing the jabber server
libraries on solaris 7 (fetched from jabber.org download path):
on solaris 7, you have to use /usr/xpg4/bin/id instead of standard id to use
id -u to get the user id. check for uname -s = SunOS and uname -r = 5.7.
the install parameters did not work.
-add AC_PROG_INSTALL to configure.in
-use automake --add-missing to install a copy of install-sh
-for some reason i did not yet find out INSTALL_DATA did not resolve to
something useful. i replaced them by INSTALL in src/Makefile.in for a quick
compiler complains about incompatible flags -fPIC and -pg
-removed -pg from src/Makefile.am, rerun automake; autoconf; configure
configure did not find libxode due to solaris' strange library path policies.
.configure --with-libxode=/usr/local (must be a better way)
same problem as libjabber: same solution
missing libadns: copied the LIBXODE tests in configure.in and added
LIBADNS_ADD where LIBXODE_ADD is found. rerun autoconf.
there was another problem with autoheader and libtool, but i did not yet
figure out if that was in the original destribution or was caused by all the
reconfigurations inbetween. it was solved by rewriting acconfig.h with
rerunning autoheader etc.
then rm ltconfig, ltmain and libtool, run automake --add-missing and
ln -s /usr/local/bin/libtool to libtool (pew....)
libtool: link: `-L' cannot specify a relative directory
make: *** [jserver] Error 1
this is caused by the definition of
ETHERX_LIBDIR = -L /usr/local/lib in src/Makefile,
which itself can be tracked down to the invocation of etherx-config --libdir
a manual start of etherx-config reveals a leading space in the return value.
so etherx-config.in has to be changed so that there is no leading space
produced, which can be achieved by changing the output="$output blurb" lines
if test -z "$output"; then
output = $addoutput
output = "$output $addoutput"
at the end of the option case switch
another problem occurs in src/modules, where "if ! test" does not work.
i changed that in src/modules/Makefile.am to "if test !" in two places.
CANBOX Communications GmbH - Peter Koellner - peter at mezzo.net
voicemail & fax via www.smartvia.de: +49-441-80066-5042
phone +49 231 5865139 mobile +49 177 6490606
More information about the JDev