[JDEV] Alpha release of Game Playing - IM - Posted Updated version
ashvil at i3connect.net
Wed Jul 25 05:34:47 CDT 2001
Thanks for finding a protocol bug. I apologize for all the trouble
this caused you or anyone who downloaded our software.
We have posted an updated version, which I hope resolves the issue.
We have changed the client negotiation to use iq:browse as you suggested.
The message flow is now
Query : <iq type='get' to='JID'><user xmlns='jabber:iq:browse'/></iq>
Reply : <iq type='result' to='JID' ><user type='client' name='i3c'
We use i3C to identify that it is our client. We tested this with Jabber IM
and WinJab. Please let us know, if this is compliant with the Jabber
Since we have changed the negotiation protocol, this means that everyone who
downloaded Magrathea before will have to download it again. It is at
> And even better way would be to use a different ns for each game, that
> each game could have it's own XML, etc, and other clients would be free to
> implement the functionality of the games into their own clients.
We need to think about your proposal of using a different namespace for each
game. We are currently studying the extension mechanism that Jabber has and
will get back with queries on this.
I am open to documenting our XML wire format for each game (that we write),
so that other clients can implement the gaming functionality and we can have
cross client inter-op. That's the beauty of an open system like Jabber.
It was not our intention to create spam or break an open system. The reason
this bug slipped thru was
a) not testing with WinJab
b) we learnt most of the Jabber protocol by looking at the XML over the
We plan to correct this ASAP, but some lessons are always learnt the hard
Once again thanks for your feedback and sorry for the trouble.
More information about the JDev