[jdev] help request with xmpp component.

George Gozadinos ggozad at qiweb.net
Sun Mar 16 03:24:14 CDT 2008

On Mar 14, 2008, at 5:39 PM, Magnus Henoch wrote:

> George Gozadinos <ggozad at qiweb.net> writes:
>
>> Now, I would like to take it to the next level and write a xmpp
>> component that will be able to serve arbitrarily many helpdesks each
>> with its own agents. And that's where my problems start. Not sure at
>> all what I need to implement for the component, or even if it is
>> possible for a component to represent users, control subscriptions
>> etc.
>> Could you please tell me what I should be looking at? Should
>> identities be added for each user to the component? Any starting
>> points/tutorials on how to proceed?
>
> XEP-0142 is one possible way to implement this:
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0142.html
>
> --
> Magnus
> JID: legoscia at jabber.cd.chalmers.se

XEP-0142 sounds right on the spot, but (at least to me) poses some
problems. For a start it is deferred and not recommended to implement,
and then would normal clients be able to connect to a service? I
assume not.

I was more looking for something simpler, but maybe it is not
possible. Could you enlighten me about whether it is possible for a
component to assume the role of many clients sharing the same xml
stream? Can these clients send / receive presences have their own
roster etc as normal clients do?
Thanks again,
gg